Statewide Policies and Supports

There is a broad continuum of family arrangements and governmental supports when a child is placed out of their parents’ home.  Arrangements range from informal to judicially ordered.  View a matrix of arrangements, financial supports and eligibilities.

Families may qualify for additional benefits, see below or connect with your local Ohio Benefit Bank Counselor, more information can be found at the Benefit Bank website.  You can also access more detailed information and for many public assistance benefits that are available to Ohioans, as well as on-line applications.

  • Cash Assistance – apply at your local County Department of Job and Family Services agency (CDJFS), and ask for “Child Only” TANF or Ohio Works First cash assistance.  Eligibility is based on the child’s out of home status, not the caregiver’s income.
  • Medicaid coverage – apply at your local CDJFS, while seeking cash assistance.  Based on child’s income, if they are not already covered on a health insurance policy, the child is likely eligible for a Medicaid card.  This will be VERY valuable in meeting the needs of the child in your care.
  • SNAP (Food Stamps) – apply at the local CDJFS.  This benefit is based on your household income and number of people living there.
  • Child Care Subsidy – for low income caregivers that are working.  Apply at local CDJFS.
  • Kinship Permanency Incentive Program – financial supports available for qualifying permanent kinship families (those with judicial custody award, apply at your local public children services agency.  View program description and details.
  • Grandparent Power of Attorney and Caregiver Affidavit forms – HB 279 updated the legal documentation to assist Grandparent Caregivers that have physical custody of their grandchildren, but not judicially awarded custody.  When properly completed, notarized and filed with the court, these forms will assist grandparents in enrolling grandchildren in school and participating as the parent; accessing routine and emergency medical and dental care.  The revised forms do not expire, and if disagreements arise between grandparent caregiver and the parent, the grandparent can request a hearing in juvenile court, and seek judicial custody.
    Power of Attorney forms: For grandparents whose children are authorizing the grandparent’s power of attorney for their grandchild.
    Caregiver Authorization Affidavit formFor grandparents caring for their grandchildren who are unable to locate the child’s parent or parent’s.

Check out the Kinship Resource Guide outlined by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services – this guide provides a wealth of additional information.